Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sometimes, life just gets in the way

Well, well, my first week of 8 week body challenge, I punished myself in the gym over 4 successive days because I knew that as I was going to watch Bathurst 100 V8 Supercar race. It's a 3 day weekend (10th to 13th October) camping up the mountain with plenty of beer, no protein shakes but lots of BBQ'd protein. Tried to be measured in food intake but also reasonable thought to having fun.

Came home on the Monday 13th and decided to go for a run to begin the detox. About 3 kilometres in, felt something 'go' in my left calf. Stopped running, still went to gym that night, but next day went to physio and had diagnosis of grade 1 calf strain. Treatment sorted it out although had to give running a rest for a few days. So, flogged myself at gym Monday to Thursday even when in Brisbane for work - found a gym up there (Goodlife Health Club). No workout on Friday (4 days in a row is hard enough on my old body).

Then, up to Brisbane again for work function and catch up with a mate. Again, my Achilles heel of my celebration style, beer, was involved. I did manage to keep nutritional intake good (although did sneak in some carbs on Saturday afternoon/night).

So this week, back to normal you think? Well no, as my annual Golf Safari with mates starts on Wednesday 22nd October, in Mornington Peninsula! So, I'll smash myself for the next 2 nights, and also in cardio. I fly to Melbourne at 11am on Wednesday.

I fly back into Sydney on Tuesday 26th October, and so I should have some 'clean air'. I still have a few single events in November but mostly dinners or afternoons out. A footy club reunion on 15th, a manager work offsite in Melbourne on 19-20 November.

My point here, and tying back to the heading of this post, I exercise to live, not live to exercise. By that I mean, my 'healthstyle' needs to adapt to my lifestyle and social life. That's all for now. I'll check in after my golf holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment